Holiday Pet Dangers


The holiday season is a dangerous time for any pet. By recognizing the dangers to your pets, you can take steps to limit the risks and keep them from facing health complications or emergencies.

Dangers from Foods

The first danger to your pets in Waldorf, Maryland during the holiday season is the food items in your home. Chocolate is a type of poison for many pets and may lead to death. Macadamia nuts and coffee may cause seizures when a pet eats the foods. Fruit cakes with raisins or currants may cause kidney failure and other health complications. As a general rule, you and your family want to avoid feeding your pets any foods from the table during the holiday season. You also want to keep bones, fat and trimmings from a holiday meal out of your pet's reach to prevent complications like gastro-intestinal pain.

Decoration Dangers

Decorations, like tinsel and lights, may cause injuries and sicknesses. Pets may face complications with their health due to eating a decoration or curiously playing with certain decorations. Electrical decorations, in particular, cause concerns due to the risk of electrocution. Take measures to prevent injuries by ensuring that your pets do not have access to lights or similar decorations.

Plants and Pet Health

Do not put up real plants during the holiday season. Mistletoe, holly and lilies may cause vomiting, diarrhea and kidney failure if a pet eats the plants. Opt for fake plants or use safe house plants for your decorations.

When an emergency arise, seek immediate medical attention for your pets. At Waldorf Emergency Care, we are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week to handle any emergencies. A veterinarian is available, even on holidays, to help your pets if they are injured from plants, food items or decorations during the holidays.

We can be reached at 301-705-9700


Find us on the map

Open 24 Hours, 7 Days Per Week, 365 Days Per Year
If you have a pet or animal emergency
don't hesitate to contact us anytime


Read What Our Clients Say

  • "I've been there twice and the people are a delight to work with. They genuinely care for your baby. Customer service they provide toward your pet is OUTSTANDING. My baby was scared but they put him at ease. Ohh and his humans too. They have home what seems to be the right medicine because he is already eating and down for a good nap. All I can say is THANK YOU
    I wish you were a full service vet I would use you all the time"
    Kathy B.
  • "This is my first review so bear with me.....Under a very hard emergency circumstance, I used this establishment yesterday for my cat. I can not express how thankful I am that I found them. It was a Sunday so my vet was closed. I was a total stranger and was treated like a lifelong customer. Whatever it is you are doing, please keep up the good work. Thank you."
    Candy K.
  • "This place is awesome! I went in because my dog was choking on his collar! Yes, his collar! When I got there they were so urgent and alert to what seemed to be an emergency situation. (At least to me). Especially the young man at the front desk who moved really fast for someone who had a boot on his foot! Also, They were so comforting due to the fact I was crying hysterically. I would recommend this place to anyone! My puppy is back home like nothing ever happened lol. Definitely five star service."
    Jackie J.