Other Toxins

Common Household Dangers For Your Pet

.

Potential Household Dangers for Your Pet

There may be pet dangers lurking in or around your house without you even realizing. If your pet is exposed to these dangers, this could very well result in a medical emergency. For example, did you know that antifreeze is tempting for many pets to ingest due to its sweet smell and taste? If you keep it in or around your home, be sure that it's out of your pet's reach. Furthermore, be careful about the types of chemicals you use on your lawn and garden; certain fertilizers and plant foods can be fatal if ingested by pets!

Inside your home, be careful about insecticides and pest control products, such as ant and fly traps; if you use them, they need to be hidden away (underneath furniture, for example) where there is no chance your pet can reach them. Also, be aware that some household plants and flowers can be toxic to pets. A common example is the lily flower, which can be fatal to cats. Even if your cat doesn't ingest any part of the plant, simply drinking water from the vase or even ingesting pollen from the flower itself is enough to be fatal in some cases.

Chocolate is another toxin that can make both dogs and cats ill, so be sure to keep it out of reach of your pets and never feed it as a treat.

Mouse or rat poison is also poison for your larger pet.  If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested mouse or rat poison it is important that they be treated right away.  Don't wait until clinical signs occur, it is easier to treat if caught early.

Questions? Call Our Emergency Veterinarians or staff members!

If your pet is experiencing symptoms of a medical emergency, visit Waldorf Emergency Care veterinarians as soon as possible. And if you have questions about our services or any of your pet's behavior/symptoms, feel free to give Waldorf Emergency Care a call today.  We can be reached at 301-705-9700


Location

Find us on the map

Open 24 Hours, 7 Days Per Week, 365 Days Per Year
If you have a pet or animal emergency
don't hesitate to contact us anytime

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "I've been there twice and the people are a delight to work with. They genuinely care for your baby. Customer service they provide toward your pet is OUTSTANDING. My baby was scared but they put him at ease. Ohh and his humans too. They have home what seems to be the right medicine because he is already eating and down for a good nap. All I can say is THANK YOU
    I wish you were a full service vet I would use you all the time"
    Kathy B.
  • "This is my first review so bear with me.....Under a very hard emergency circumstance, I used this establishment yesterday for my cat. I can not express how thankful I am that I found them. It was a Sunday so my vet was closed. I was a total stranger and was treated like a lifelong customer. Whatever it is you are doing, please keep up the good work. Thank you."
    Candy K.
  • "This place is awesome! I went in because my dog was choking on his collar! Yes, his collar! When I got there they were so urgent and alert to what seemed to be an emergency situation. (At least to me). Especially the young man at the front desk who moved really fast for someone who had a boot on his foot! Also, They were so comforting due to the fact I was crying hysterically. I would recommend this place to anyone! My puppy is back home like nothing ever happened lol. Definitely five star service."
    Jackie J.