Waldorf Emergency Care Discusses Dangerous Foods For Pets


Pets can be curious and get into many hazardous situations that can cause illness and even death. Pet owners may not be aware of the many foods that can create a dangerous situation for their pets. At Waldorf Emergency Care in Waldorf, we provide treatment for pets that have ingested hazardous foods and other toxic substances.

Dangerous Foods For Pets

You may have heard about the dangers of chocolate for pets or the hazards of feeding your pet grapes and raisins. However, several other culprits can cause problems for your pet.

  • Macadamia nuts are poisonous to pets.
  • Candy and other sweets may contain the artificial sweetener, xylitol, which is hazardous.
  • Any food that has gone moldy can be hazardous.
  • Raw yeast dough should be kept away from your pet.
  • Peach pits and apricot pits contain toxins that are dangerous for pets.
  • Alcoholic drinks should not be ingested by pets
  • Pets should not ingest caffeinated soft drinks, coffee, or tea.
  • Rhubarb leaves, tomato leaves, and potato leaves and stems should be kept away from pets.

Symptoms of Ingestion of a Dangerous Food

If your pet is vomiting repeatedly, it may be because it ingested a toxic substance. Animals may become depressed and lethargic after toxic ingestion. They may develop problems with coordination or muscle control. They may be lethargic or fall into a coma. Toxic ingestion is a veterinary emergency, and you should get your pet to a vet as quickly as possible.

Choose Waldorf Emergency Care For Your Emergency Pet Care

Our veterinarians and team at Waldorf Emergency Care have extensive training in emergency veterinary care, which we use to help our patients in the Waldorf area. We treat a wide range of emergencies and urgent health conditions, including the ingestion of toxic substances, vomiting, diarrhea, eye injuries, fractures, heatstroke, and other problems. Call Waldorf Emergency Care today at (301) 705-9700 to learn more about our veterinary services.