Skip To Content

Waldorf Emergency Care – Toxic Ingestion


It’s every pet owner’s worst nightmare — a beloved animal accidentally eating something he shouldn’t and being poisoned by it. Toxin ingestion can involve a wide range of substances, including many common items that you might not have considered. When trouble strikes, it’s important to know what to do and which veterinarian to turn to for immediate help. Here at Waldorf Emergency Care, we’re always ready to provide life-saving care for your poisoned pet.

Substances That Can Poison Your Pet

Hundreds of thousands of pets ingest toxic substances each year. This might sound like an astonishing number until you consider that the world of toxins includes both obvious poisons and many other products commonly found in or around the home. Some of the most common pet toxins include:

  • Insecticides and rodent poison – Many of the products we use to kill insects, mice, rats, and other unwanted creatures are just as effective at harming our beloved animals.
  • Household cleaners – Detergents, bleach, carpet cleaners, essential oils, and fabric softeners all fall into this category.
  • Automotive products – The fluids and cleaners meant for your care are definitely not made for your pet. Antifreeze is especially dangerous because pets like the taste of it.
  • Plants – Sago palm, tulips, lilies, and azaleas are just a few of the lovely household plants that can cause ugly symptoms in pets.
  • Human foods – Foods that are safe for you to eat may be highly toxic to your pet. Examples include chocolate, garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, coffee, nuts, undercooked meats, and the non-sugar sweetener xylitol are all hazardous.

Our Emergency Vet Center Can Save Your Friend’s Life

Watch out for signs of pet toxin ingestion such as vomiting, bloody diarrhea, nosebleeds, difficult urination, agitation, lethargy, appetite changes and seizures. If you believe that your pet has ingested a toxic substance, don’t panic — and don’t automatically induce vomiting, since a corrosive poison can do even more damage coming back up. Contact our emergency vet center immediately to describe the situation to us so we can instruct you on your next steps. Bring the suspected poison with you if you can identify it.

By the time your reach our vet clinic, we’ll be ready and waiting for your pet. Our team of skilled professionals and advanced diagnostic measures allow us to take quick action, administering medications to deactivate or counteract whatever your pet ingested and hopefully save his life.

You Can Rely on Our Waldorf Emergency Clinic

You’re never without a top-class emergency veterinarian at Waldorf Emergency Care. Keep our number handy and call (301) 705-9700 if your pet is in danger!

Back To Top